It’s that time of year again. Maybe you’ve noticed a little tickle in your throat, or you’ve got a case of the sniffles, or maybe you just want to supercharge your immune system before you get sick in the first place!
As reassuring as your friendly neighborhood pharmacy can seem, the underlying fact is, if you get sick it’s because something is out of balance in your body.
Maybe you’re not getting the nutrients you need, or maybe it’s the stress of the changing seasons, but one thing remains:
Something is out of balance and maybe your immune system needs a little boost to help get back in balance.
Here are some easy ways to kick your immune system into gear and give your body a little TLC:
- Take an absorbable multivitamin: Let’s face it: not all vitamins are created equal, and if you’re taking Centrum, Walgreen’s vitamins, or really any vitamin in pill form, chances are you are absorbing a very tiny percentage, and are actually doing more harm than good. This is why you read all these articles saying that vitamins don’t do anything– certain ones don’t! Here are the ones I take so you can try them yourself: Multivitamin. They are delicious (you drink them) and super absorbable!
- Raw apple cider vinegar: Raw apple cider vinegar has been used throughout the centuries for its cleansing properties. It has been shown to stimulate circulation, purify the blood, and aid in detoxification of the liver. Try starting off your morning by waking up your body with a glass of water and a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar.
- Probiotics: Probiotics can be thought of, in simple terms, as “good bacteria.” Well, guess what? Good bacteria fights off bad bacteria. And the more good microflora you have, the more effective your body is in fighting off potential sicknesses, colds, and pesky allergies. Where can you get probiotics? Just like vitamins, be careful to not buy just any probiotic. Since it is technically alive, many of the probiotics on the shelf are dead from processing and travel time by the time they get to the store. I take these every night before I go to bed. Give them a try!
- Water, Water, Water: The average adult is 50 to 65 percent water, and it is estimated that the brain and nerve tissues are 80 percent water. Our organs need water to function properly, and to rid our body of toxins, waste, and unwanted bacteria. Make things easier on your body and drink it.
- Sleep: Sleep is a time for your body to rest, repair itself, and flush out unwanted toxins. Try not eating within three hours of going to sleep. It eases your body into repair mode, and allows your body to focus on flushing and repairing itself, instead of what the heck it’s going to do with your evening snack (probably let it chill on your hips ;)).
- Ginger tea with lemon and honey: Ginger warms and stimulates good digestion, and guess what? 70% of your immune sytem can be found in your digestive track! Lemons are powerful antiseptics, destroying bacteria in your mouth and intestines, while clearing mucous build up. Try using raw, local honey. Because it’s been collected from flowers in your area (thanks, bees!), it gives the body a natural defense against seasonal allergies!
- Cayenne pepper: Hello, spice. Cayenne pepper rocks because it clears up mucous, aids in digestion and elimination, stimulates circulation in our lymphatic system, and has strong anti-bacterial properties.
- Shower and brush your teeth: I know this sounds like common sense, but I’m going to say it anyway. We’ve all been there. “I’m sick, I feel gross, and I’m going to lay in my bed and do nothing until I feel better.” As comforting as that may sound, resting to repair does not entail you sitting in your own filth. When you’re sick, you are a feeding ground for bacteria, and the best thing you can do is wash, wash, wash it away, and keep a clean, healthy, happy environment.
Aren’t you feeling better already?
Want more cool wellness tips and recipes? Stay in touch by leaving your name and email below!