Let’s talk about WATER. Water is one of those things that we know we SHOULD drink but it often gets left by the wayside. Many people don’t drink enough water for two main reasons:
Do you fit into one of these two categories?
GOOD– not good that you’re dehydrated, but good that you’re reading this article. Keep going.
You’ve probably heard that your body is made up of 60- 75% water, so yes it makes sense that you should drink lots of it throughout the day. But how much and why?
The rule I go by for how MUCH water to drink is the following:
Take your body weight in pounds and divide it by 2 to get the ounces of water you should be drinking. Then add 10 ounces for every hour you work out.
So if you weigh 150lbs, you should be drinking 75 oz of water. If you also workout for an hour, bump that number up to 85 oz.
WHY drink water? Well, a number of problematic nuisances occur when we don’t drink enough water. For starters HEADACHES are often a sign of dehydration. Many people experience CRAVINGS when they are dehydrated and a drop in their ENERGY. This is due to the fact that when we are dehydrated our cells cannot function optimally, but also water provides much-needed oxygen to the brain for clear thinking. When we can’t think clearly we tend to crave sugars, fats, and salts. Additionally, lack of water messes with our electrolyte or mineral balance, triggering cravings and all other types of symptoms.
Now what’s the best way to get your daily water in? Make it available! Pick up a water bottle you like, and keep it full. This also gives you an excuse to get up and walk around throughout the day, refilling this sucker. I really like the CamelBak 25 oz water bottle with the straw.
- Make it available! Pick up a water bottle you like, and keep it full. This also gives you an excuse to get up and walk around throughout the day, refilling this sucker. I really like the CamelBak 25 oz water bottle with the straw.
- Add some flavor! There are a number of ways to make your water more palatable if you’re not into the “water-taste.” I love water but still like to add a burst of flavor. Here are three of my favorite add-ins:
- Fruits, Veggies, Herbs: Lemons, berries, cucumbers, limes, oranges, basil, mint, toss them in your water bottle for a burst of flavor.
- Bai Antioxidant Infusion Drink: I keep one handy at my desk and will add a touch to my water bottle each time I fill it. I go through about one bottle every two days.
- Ultimate Aloe: I get the Strawberry-Kiwi flavor and think it tastes like the pink freeze pops we had when we were little, but it’s actually good for you! I put a splash in my water once or twice a day. It supports a healthy digestive tract and strong immune system. If you really want a digestive tract boost, check out the Digestive Health Kit, which includes Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes.
How do you stay hydrated? Write below in the comments!
Got a question? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can feature your question in a future blog post.
Want more cool wellness tips and recipes? Stay in touch by leaving your name and email below!